ITC Meeting

April 8, 2005


Present:            Jan Fox, Donna Spindel, Frances Hensley, Mike McCarthy, Monica Brooks, Jody Perry, Layton Cottrill,  Don Combs, Arnold Miller

                        Guest:   Steve Mewaldt


Minutes:           Approved




Fox:                 The State does have a new CTO.  He is a Marshall Graduate, but his name will not be released until next week.


There is legislation out there that is HB248 that was a Senate Bill last year that deals with creating a technology plan for K12 and Higher Ed.  Nothing happened last year, but this year the actual bill takes the K12 budget for technology and has a committee to decide how the money will be spent.  They are not allowed to spend any of their money until this plan is resolved. 



Brooks:            We did get the loan approved for the Innovative software.  There was a revision of the contract from 5 to 3 years.  We will be allowed to initiate migration of data once the first payment is made. 


A part of the new catalog is a new addition called PALCI which is a consortium that will allow us to have access to 27 million volumes. 

The system allows for patron initiated loans that are sent directly to the patron, free of charge. 



Spindel:            MU online redesign has been up and running since mid March.  In the month of February before the site was redesigned, there were 4800 unique visits; since the redesign there have been 22,000 unique visits.


Policy 13 had a couple of edits that were finally approved by Faculty Senate. 



McCarthy:        The LCME revisit team has come and gone from the Medical School; they seemed impressed.  We have put together a curriculum database so we were able to answer questions for them like ďWhere is the topic of nutrition taught in the curriculum?Ē  They were impressed with the database and this addressed the issue of central oversight of the curriculum.


The HIPAA training sessions are winding down.  We will have some makeup sessions next week.



There is a chronic disease management system developed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center (HEALTHe forces) that has been modified for use in a rural clinic setting.  We are piloting it in Lavalette.  This is a cooperative project involving the National Technology Transfer Center at Wheeling Jesuit University, Marshall Medical School and Walter Reed.  HEALTHe WV.



Miller:               FYI this is the time of year where we have to decide what we want to do about Internet bandwidth over the summer.  It saves money to cut it in half over the summer and then bring it back up in the fall.



Fox:                 K12 has requested an additional 180mb of Internet bandwidth.  With the change of their money being held this will affect possible extra bandwidth.



Miller:               Last summer we had 35 mb and didnít use all of it.


We are still working on a merger of the phone system between here and the site at the Joan C. Edwards Medical Center.  We will have some more discussion about that later concerning dialing plan changes. 


The move of the Banner system onto Linux is on schedule for Memorial Day weekend.  As part of that, we are redoing how accounts and the identities of people are assigned.  We are redesigning our account management system to work along with that to streamline the process of getting accounts created.


There is also discussion about how we treat prospective students. 

We are on schedule for production of our new orientation CD.  If you have anything to contribute to the CD, let us know.



Mewalt:            I was originally put on this committee because Iím writing the planning portion of the NCA report.  Allen suggested that I come to this committee.  I am hearing some things that I donít think we have written into the documents.  We really want to know what we are planning to do in the future. 

Per Jan: Next meeting will include a major planning meeting. ŖDiscussion?Effort? Itís not clear what this means




Cottrill:             The Legislative Auditor wants to know about policies regarding pornography on the Internet.



Perry:               We have disabled a number of accounts in the past couple of months that have been abusers.



Fox:                 Next fall we plan to have two video stations for students to have video calls to parents or to use for student interviews.  I donít know if this will cause future problems in the pornography issue.







Fox:                 It is a requirement of the state that we review policies on an annual basis.  If you would like, I can take this back through the security committee, if you have no issues we can send it back through as approved.  It seems to be working well.  We try to be proactive with policies to put something in place before we have a problem. 





Fox:                 This puts in place examples and common forms of violations, we can make clear to individuals things that are violations.  It is important to keep looking at examples and adding new text. 

Frances suggests internal solicitations be added to the examples.  Per Layton:  According to law no one can solicit on University property unless non-profit through email accounts. We need to remind people that emails inviting people to personal parties and commercial solicitations, applies to everyone.


                        Every time you log into a public machine, they have to click to agree that you have seen the policy.


I would like a sub-group of the ITC to look over this policy.  We will do a final clearance of the changes at the next meeting.






Perry:               There are two issues.  There are mentions of the TQM committee which is no longer active.  We need to remove all reference to TQM committee.  Voted and approved


I also move to remove all reference all references to Zip drives. Voted and approved.


The Scheduling policy for team rooms and collaborations in Drinko is not mentioned in this policy.  We should attach the Drinko policy to this policy.  Voted and approved






Fox:                 We revised this policy in 2000.  My request to you is to review this policy We need a review with Jon Cutler to make sure there are other things to be added.  Asking for second review before this committee to sends the policy to Jon Cutler. 


Miller:               Jon has a bunch of cosmetic fixes for this policy.  We may want to merge the email policy with the bulk email policy .  Content retention is not covered in this policy.  Do we want to keep all policies inclusive or keep separated into other divisional policies? 

There is concern that uniquely named polices may confuse people if they are not in all an inclusive policy. 

As example, do we roll HIPAA information into this policy?  Layton thinks HIPAA should be separate.



Cottrill:             Senate Bill 603 has a section on adoption of policies by governing boards.  The Bill wants to give more autonomy to the governing boards of WVU and MU.  One of the sections in there that is disturbing to me and that may be a problem is that it appears to require us as an institution to go back and take all policies and have them promulgated by the governing board.  This would require collection and distribution of all policies to groups for input before consideration by the governing board.  We need to be aware of the potential effects.



Fox:                 By the next meeting we will have a common look for all policies.  We will bring these back for review next time





Miller:               The Email Retention Policy, has several issues related to retention of accounts.

The policy deals with identities, privileges, and content that is lying around.

This is the basis of our discussion.


I have added appendix A Ė this is an email retention and use policy promulgated by WV ITC.It is not clear if we have any obligation to follow these regulations.


Persistence of identities Ė persist over time.  Once you have a MU student number, you always have that.  I suggest the same thing happen with the MU Net identity and the same with the email identity.  The identities can be archived as available or non-available.   There are instances when we may not want a non-available student ID to ever be reactivated.


Privileges are based on your role at the institution. 


Where it starts to get sticky is in defining the types of content.  Administrative; fiscal; general; ephemeral content.


Retention Times for Content

We need an overall institutional policy for the institutionís important content.

General email is ephemeral content.

The institution needs to be committed to deal with institutional material.


Fox:                 The state will only hold 90 days of email.  We face a legal concern if we hold the information longer. 


Cottrill:             The Freedom of Information Act states that if we have it, we have to produce it.  We can get away with 90 days.  We are currently holding a lot more than 90 days. 



Fox:                 No one actually understands what the 90 day policy actually means.  This is a bigger issue for institutional documents. 



Miller:               Many institutions have a document retention policy for the institution.  Without an institutional policy, all other policies are hard to enforce.  All media should be treated the same through a University policy.


We will continue to review this document for a future vote.  Please explain to your constituency to get their input.


Identity change/priv. change.  Triggering event process,