Minutes

Information Technology Council Meeting
November 9, 2007

 

Present:            Jan Fox, Allen Taylor, Rachel Sergent (SGA),Rhonda Sturgill, Arnold Miller, Teresa Bolt, Sarah Denman, David††† Johnson,  Tom Hankins, John Maher, Layton Cottrill, Monica Brooks, Frances Hensley

Review of September Minutes:      Approved

Jan:                 Next week there is a conference called Create WV focused on attracting creative people to the state. 

I Just returned from the Southern Growth Technology meeting, in Savannah at the Hydrogen Research facility.  They are close to making fuel cells that would change our business with coal.  There will be major outcomes within the next 5 years.

We attended Educause and looked at new technologies.  They also had private groups there and I went to the RIAA group meeting. 

Sarah:              I am working on several issues relating to technologies.  I met with David to discuss what to do with online courses once online faculty retires.

I am also working on how to relate online issues for undergrad course tuition waivers and Graduate students waiver relating to stipends. 

I am collaborating with other colleges and universities for the need for intensive and constant review of online courses.  I think summer is a good time to do it.  We need expert type people to review the courses for quality and content. 

Rhonda           Course evaluations will open up for Fall courses November 20.  The FCDOMI committee created a couple deadlines for course reviews.  Faculty members have to have courses to the review committee by November 15.  The online catalog is not a problem.  We are no longer putting courses in the schedule if they have not been approved. 

Jan:                  We do have a full training piece in Vista that staff council has requested.  Anything we could find for free for training is posted there.

Teresa:             They sent out tuition waiver requests.  Jan has added 6 more online course fee waivers for staff. 

Allen:              There are a number of PC and notebook configurations that we put in place October 1.  We are anticipating a new tablet PC that will be available in January.

When Pcard limits were raised to $5000, it has created issues because it has allowed spontaneous purchases.  Many purchases were for substandard software and warranty.  We are putting in place a review process to create a dialog with people to discuss what they are doing.

The analysis is still being done regarding the impact of the 10% budget cut on UCF facilities.  If dollars stay cut, it will impact the labs for next year.

I am working on a draft of a Notice of an offer by Microsoft.Between now and next April, they have a fantastic deal for students to buy Office 2007 Ultimate for ony $59.95.  The students must have a .edu e-mail address and confirm they are carrying a 50% course load.  There is a separate issue for Graduate student load.   It would be great marketing tool for students coming in for Fall; however, it is a limited time offer right now, but I will follow-up.

We are going to do trials for 802.11n, the new Wi-Fi standard.  The equipment has been ordered.

Last year we signed a pilot to look at hosting student email externally.  We looked at Google, Microsoft and soon Yahoo, are all three going to offer that service.  We did not feel comfortable with the Microsoft or Google offerings this Fall.  Thanks to discussions at Educause, we know more about some of the obstacles other schools have encountered.  We are looking at doing a pilot in the Spring term will have more information later.

David:             The student developers and instructional designers have moved over to the Communications building 211.  We will have a grand opening once the rest of the furniture comes in.  They seem to be pleased with their new space. 

We have 5 new TECI classrooms going in the day after finals.  I will send out a list of the new rooms.  Our staff will be trained on how to do the installations.  We have equipment to do 3 additional classrooms over the Spring.  These 8 rooms will bring us up to 22 actual TECI rooms; plus COLA rooms, it brings us to the 30s.  Nursing is using a room in Corbly 109 for video conferencing which seems to be working fine, no complaints.

We also have classes using Desktop Collaboration with Macromedia Breeze out of one of those rooms as well.  I will do a 5 minute demo on Desktop Collaboration next meeting.

Arnold:           This fall, we will be moving many of the faculty and staff and small number of students from one Exchange server to another.  Everyone will be getting a notice for when we will be moving their mailbox.  If using Office 2007, Outlook will see many changes and enhancements.  If using Outlook web, the portal into exchange mail has been substantially enhanced.  There will be a small disruption when the move is made, but we will try to do it in off hours.

Jan mentioned the staff training initiative.  In the Associate Deanís meeting we discussed a course on advisor training. 

Over Christmas break, we will be upgrading myMU Luminus portal to its newest version.  It will look and feel the same but there will be additional capabilities there. 

Online registration opens up on December 27th.

We did change the message we are sending to students on RIAA notifications to make it plain to them that this is an issue between them and the RIAA and that we have not identified them to the RIAA.  We will have to update the procedure to bring it up to date.

Monica:           Pam Ford, our cataloger is retiring in January so we are already advertising for her position, but it is being advertised as an Information Discovery and Metadata Librarian. 

The new thrust is to catalog materials in addition to traditional print.  We have signed on to obtain a minimum of $10,000 from the Library of Congress to encourage the use of primary sources in teaching environment and have spoken to the people from the Library of Congress who are operating out of Waynesburg University.   The thrust of this initial piece of their project is to see if higher education will participate.  They are offering us this opportunity to see if our faculty will utilize primary sources from the Library of Congress.  Because we have done some digital content management we have added to this giant repository Marshall materials that are unique to our area.

We started a new program called Rapid ILL.  It is completely behind the scenes; users have no clue we are doing this, but it brings you EZBorrow.  It now has started an article distribution piece that can fill requests using electronic materials we subscribe to, and, because of the change, other institutions can do the same.  We can fill electronic requests within 30 minutes as opposed to the traditional 2 weeks.

Copyright workshops are now underway.  Davidís staff has agreed to put the training as a webcast and we are also working on a module for the faculty training depository that Jan mentioned for online training. 

Also we have implemented a hands on Web 2.0 workshop.†† We were able to have hands on with teachers who have never touched social networking software before.

We have many Library Associates events planned.  The first is Sunday at 2:00 for the unveiling of the second Fors Mural.

 

LOG FILE MANAGEMENT

Jan:                 At Educause we found out that some universities have gotten around the RIAA subpoena information because they had a policy on the length of log files.  If we had had this fully in place, the requests we received would have exceeded any normal time period.   This will help us on future cases of definite log file dates. 

Arnold:            I borrowed this document from University of California (acknowledged at end).  It is worth your time to read it through.  This is structured for what are the issues? How are they used? It is for logs of all kinds.  Networks identify students identified in RIAA notices of copyright infringements.  This gives you background on what they are and why we use them and eventually discusses life-cycle management.  There is also a recommendation to have log management infrastructure.  It would be nice to look at this type of software. 

Our recommendation is to tie this to the university records management policy.  I donít want to write a policy, but want to tie to that policy.  Layton feels that it would be simple to file a policy with his office.  A model policy would change the amount of time we have to retain logs.  We would have to have a second repository for logs that have a preservation notice attached.  There are certain matters that should be kept longer than others.  The time frames will have to be adjusted for those.  Currently, we are keeping information that we are capable of keeping to assist with troubleshooting.

POLICY REVIEW OF CURRENT POLICIES

Jan:                   We are supposed to review policies on a yearly basis.  The following policies need review:  

         Information Security Policy;

          Online Course policy; and

         Telecommuting Policy (it is an HR issue and we need to look at it for faculty as well as staff).

         Collection of Studentís religious preferences for Banner also needs review.

If there are any other policies that you think need to be reviewed, we will put them on the table for review.

WV CYBER INFRASTRUCURE - EPSCoR

Allen:              There is an effort by the National Science Foundation to support research in states that do not have a large research component in their state.  There is a fair amount of money that is brought through the NSF that is targeted at those states.  The NSF grant awards that our science researchers receive have typically been focused on basic science research that has a growing component that involves computers.  Initially it involved supercomputers, and almost every campus has handful of researchers that use supercomputers.  More and more researchers need resources that involve the use of computers.  The NSF coined a term cyber infrastructure that refers to compute power for simulation, modeling, analysis, etc.  It also includes network bandwidth to gain access to that computing power.  It includes data sets, the ability of a researcher at another institution to share their data with other researchers.  Before high speed networks only researchers on the same campus could share massive amounts of data.  NSF is requiring every state to submit a cyber infrastructure plan next year before they can get any EPSCoR money.  Jan and I working on a state wide plan for fiscal 2009 funding.  We were prepared to look at EPSCOR funding for Internet 2.  Per Jan: There has been no decision on the FCC grant.

Most of the states that presented at the meeting have coupled NSF money with NIH grants to fund cyber infrastructure.    Almost all of the states who have been successful in increasing their research networking facilities have done so by buying dark fiber on a long term lease to augment that structure.  Ohio is attempting to connect to OarnetOhio, statewide, bought dark fiber, that allows them to increase bandwidth as technology goes on without increasing costs.  In West Virginia, we were kept from doing that politically. 

Right now we have handful of researchers that are using high amounts of computing power. 

Per Frances:  we need to be consistent with our profile to comply with North Central. 

SPECIAL COLLECTIONS POLICY

Jan                  We have concerns about people wanting to donate things to us.  We need a policy that includes costs for maintaining and storage of these collections.  There needs to be money associated with donations.  Costs need to be set out. 

The policy also needs a date of review and the option to reject the collection.

Adjourned