Information Technology Council

Meeting Minutes

April 16, 2009

Present:†††††††††††††† Jan Fox, Allen Taylor, Arnold Miller, Ronda Sturgill, Tom Hankins, Barbara Winters, Jon Cutler, Anita Lockridge, John Maher

Jan:††††††††††††††††††††††† Updates regarding staff and upcoming events.We had the STAR Symposium this weekend in Charleston which is the EPSCoR piece.Senator Rockefeller talked about broadband and cyber security.There is a cyber security bill and another bill that would put money toward scholarships for cyber security.†† He considers cyber security a huge national threat.We need to work from a curriculum perspective to provide degrees.There are very few cyber security classes in place now in the CIS program and no degree.I will take this to the Sr. VP meeting.We need to be strategic from a University perspective.

On Monday in DL402 we will have the Rahall group here discussing stimulus money.There is quite a bit of money from the Broadband Council, and with Rockefeller and Rahall there is a lot of money on the table.

Senator Byrd is at the opening of the clinical building today.

Allen:††††††††††††††††††† We are continuing to refine TECI classrooms and continue funding to install 100+ rooms on the Huntington campus.A number of departments and deans have approached us to help fund rooms in their areas.We are going to meet with Gayle and one of his deans to look at alternative funding sources.We have 85 rooms that are funded through TECI but only 30 have been outfitted with full TECI layout.

We received bid openings on Tuesday for the Metro fiber project that is part of the FCC/USAC project for the two fiber rings that will connect the campus network to Cabell Huntington and St. Maryís hospitals.††

Jan:††††††††††††††††††††††† One of the speakers at STARS was from OSC net.Our researchers via Internet 2 will go through Ohio.†† There is a whole discussion on STEM education.The Science Coordinator for K-12 and the Math Coordinator for K12 gave presentations.That potential for integration with K12 may provide us with opportunities to reach out to them.

Allen:††††††††††††††††††† We are continuing the expansion of use of WIMBA.We are trying to work into that some special considerations for hybrid WIMBA/Virtual classroom environment.†† We are continuing to upgrade.We had support for that built into the proposal for use.

We are also looking at continuing the planning for expanding space on the first floor of the library for a Discovery Center.It looks like we may be able to do a video phase this summer.

Tom:††††††††††††††††††††† We are using WIMBA in technology management classes.Most people are using it as a hybrid.A Management Information Systems student in Phoenix gave a presentation that was better than if he had been in the classroom.Both the Information Systems and Technology Management programs will have proposals before Graduate Council for concentrations and areas of emphasis in health care information technology.I think the Health Professions should be submitting a Masters Program in Health Care IT thatís a cooperative effort between that college, the College of Business, and CITE that should be coming forward soon.

Jon:††††††††††††††††††††††† Information Security Ė thereís work to be done.We will be looking at existing policies to clarify those.We will be upping awareness training to faculty, staff and students.

Arnold:†††††††††††††††† I am in the process of finishing the Internet 2 application and hope to wrap in next 2-3 months.

Banner upgrade by Memorial Day is looking tenuous and we are looking at moving that out some.

Digital Measures project was turned over to AA to continue their implementation and we are assisting them to get it up and running.The Library portion is completed.

We are also working with MURC to bring them into the mainstream of Banner environment.

Barbara:†††††††††††††† One of our information providers shut us down last week because we had a faculty member downloading 120 articles per hour.We are back up now, but they are watching us carefully.

We did interesting assessments during assessment day that I will report on at the next meeting.I want to make sure we have a way to monitor improvement.

The Digital Content management group continues to find options that are not satisfactory.

Jody:†††††††††††††††††††† This summer the books will come out of the Law alcove.

Review of Minutes:voted and approved

Jan:††††††††††††††††††††††† We are in the process of the split with CTC.After July they will not have email; canít check out books; canít use Marshall.edu for any business relating to CTC.We are having communication issues with their faculty and staff.Per Anita:we have an issue with registering students in the Residence Halls. There will be a handful of students listed as general students.

The Board of Governors will remove CTC from all policies.ITC has CTC included in our policies.I want to remove them from all policies and approve in one swoop.I am asking we do the same procedure that the Board of Governors is doing to remove them.

Per Allen:††††††††††† There are issues with network access in the residence halls that students access via Marshall accounts.††

Faculty Senate Committee Representation

Jan:††††††††††††††††††††††† Historically we have had ITC representatives from faculty senate.What has happened over time is that they stay on the council but are off faculty senate.We need to look at the membership of the ITC to have representation from all groups.Proposal:since there is not an IT group on Faculty Senate, if we could ask the Library Committee for names of who will be on the council in the fall.We would also need representation on Graduate council.

IT Rate Schedule no changes from last year

Jan:††††††††††††††††††††††† Put on table for discussion.Per Allen:Some items could be reassessed during the year. Do we have to wait to increase or decrease rates mid-year?Per Jan:All rates have to be approved at the April Board of Governors meeting for the following year, but Anita will check on procedure.

Voted and approved

Product Support Levels

Arnold:†††††††††††††††† The official list of supported products are typically workstation based.Because of a transition last year the list was not updated last year.We are seeking support of this official list.

If something outside the supported product is needed we will find a way to add it. We will attempt to fit it into the image amd provide some support with a cost as per the Rate Schedule.

Voted and approved

Identity Management

Jon:††††††††††††††††††††††† Is it time to modify existing identity and email policies?One issue is the separation of CTC.What is their expectation of access to current email?Same address regardless of role privileges change.We have a licensing issue with the Exchange access in that it is licensed for University employees only.We need to clarify University policy/practice.

This is the start of the discussion to be continued at a later date.This will be aided later this year when we transition to the live@edu service for students.

Suggest that we continue to solicit various problems we have encountered and we will bring them together for discussion and alternative fixes.Per Allen:We need to establish departmental emails for public facing materials such as flyers and web pages.

Allen:††††††††††††††††††† Microsoft license allows us to have external people on our Exchange server at a cost.Per Jon:The role is clarified with individual

Arnold:†††††††††††††††† We will be looking at issues to address on a security and privacy front.

Adjourned