INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE MEETING

March 1, 2002

9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

 

Attendance:     Arnold Miller, David Johnson, Dr. Frances Hensley, Gary Weis,  Karen McComas, Gary Anderson, Matt Christian, Dr. Jim Hooper, Barbara Winters, Dr. Tom Hankins, Don Combs

 

Minutes:          Approved as amended.

 

Arnold Miller:  Jan asked me to cover two items:     

 

(1)  The sessions on copy right policies on held on February 11 were fairly well attended, although we were disappointed in the faculty turnout. 

Notification went out over the university list serve and the deans have responsibility to see that the faculty in their area attend.   The meeting will be streamed on the web, as soon as David receives the Power Point Presentation.  Will be available on web page by beginning of next week.

 

(2)  If you are here representing some constituency, it is your

responsibility to get Agenda items that you are going to vote for, passed in front of your constituency so that we don’t have any backlash as a result of any items passed in these meetings. 

           

            . 

Lead User Conference was held on February 25, 2002.  The conference

was broadcast on Channel 25. 

 

Arnold attended the sub-committee of State-wide ITV group that is attempting to put together a security policy.  One focus is on the Auditors’ recommendation of enforcing password changes on systems.  We have tried to avoid forced password changes due to the lowering security when users start writing down passwords to remember them.   We will be forced to enforce password changes on certain types of accounts such as Banner.  These systems are now behind the firewall that will help us out considerably to protect things, but auditors will continue to insist on forced password changes.

 

 

David Johnson:  The Huntington Communications Board has given the City Attorney’s

approval to negotiate an agreement to Marshall University and the town for us to administer the Education Channel (Channel 25).  This should have a possible viewership of 28,000 people.    David will meet with the City Attorney to discuss guidelines on how the channel will operate.

 

We had a virtual field trip last week for one of our classes.  We connected up with the Truman Library for Dr. Hechler's class in which President Truman and Dr. Hechler swapped stories for about 45 minutes.  The connection was out of University of Missouri.  It was an excellent experience.

 

The big thing on my plate right now is the Benedum Foundation about grants for us to fund Virtual Field Trips for the Community School for the Arts.

 

We submitted a proposal to Nursing the other day for the new rooms Nursing wants to install for Distance Education.

 

The Lead User Conference for Kinetic Park will be re-run on Channel 25 once we finalize the agreement with the Communications Board and the town. 

 

Matt Christian:  The Lead User Conference Video Streaming had 60 and 100 hits during

the conference, including one person from Peru.  Since September, we have gone from 6-7 streams per day to over 1,000 streams over a week, and still growing.  Training is being more and more attended.

 

The Web Site redesign is going well.  Met with a content management vendor who is willing to

let us do a pilot project using the Information Technology site as a model.

 

                        Jim Hooper reports that he watched the Kinetic Park conference on

Channel 25. 

 

Barbara Winters:  We are upgrading the Assistive Lab on the first floor.  We have new

hardware and software on order and we are upgrading the Braille reader repaired.  We are also installing an assistive lab at MUGC.  One of the problems we have had with the equipment in that the Huntington lab is that students have been bringing in their own software and loading it.  Other workstations in the building have restrictions against outside software, but because the assistive stations came to us through grant money, we haven’t imposed the same regulations.  That policy will change.

 

We are holding our breath until March 10, 2002 to see if there is money in the legislative budget for the Digital Library.  The private academic libraries in Appalachia have gotten a Mellon Grant for a million dollars to build a Digital Library for private academic institutions throughout Appalachia.

 

I have gotten a prospectus for Special Collection for creating a virtual library and museum starting with 3 collections:  We have the collection on the Buffalo Creek Disaster.  It will be the Premier Site regarding that event.  We are also going to do something on the History of Old Main.    The third collection is the 37 flood.  Special Collections librarians are working with Matt on these projects.    

 

We continue to seek a partnership with WSAZ to support preserving and providing access to the 50 years of film footage that resides in our Special Collections area..

 

AGENDA ITEMS:

 

CLIENT SOFTWARE CHARGE:  Jan, Arnold and Allen met with Herb, Sarah and Ted Massey and presented the recommendations from this committee regarding the software agreement.  Herb has agreed to full funding for this year, but wants the charge back for next year.  Departmental charge back is not set in stone, but everyone should consider the fee when computing budget for next year.  Technically, we are in violation of the contract as of today, but we have been assured that we are OK as long as we are moving forward in “good faith”. 

 

The Strategic Planning can recommend changes in the software package in the future should additional software programs be determined as needed to be included in the package.  Jim suggests that departments be given the heads up on upcoming changes in the image to avoid extra expenses by may be incurred by departments for additional software. 

. 

Herb is adamant about the charge-back.  Frances Hensley reported that Sherri Noble said she is still waiting for updated list of workstations on campus.  No final decisions have been made about funding for next year. 

 

Adobe agreement is still problem - negotiating signature of WV96 Form.  May need to go through a third party that will actually sign the Form.  We have copies available for campus use.  Don needs Acrobat.  He was instructed to talk to Allen or Jody.

 

 

SUPPORT LEVEL POLICY

 

Once this policy is approved and becomes policy, Computing Services will start reacting to customer inquiries based on this policy.  There are various questions concerning the wording addressing limited support to users.  Also questions about the term “acknowledgement” and the time limit for responding/acknowledging calls. 

 

Gary Anderson moves to accept Policy as amended, Karen McComas seconded.  Policy has been approved as amended. 

 

Arnold will distribute an updated Policy once requested changes have been made.

PROPOSED RATE SCHEDULE  was distributed.  Everyone will review this schedule and provide suggestions and discussion at the next meeting.  Issues regarding maintaining Foundation systems and proposed payment for services as well as charges for hourly services were discussed and will be revisited at the next meeting.

 

FYI Note:  While deleted files may be recovered from the system providing network disk space (V:drive), e-mails are not backed up in a similar manner as individual files.

 

PATRIOT ACT OF 2001

Dennis was not available to speak today, but will be here at the next meeting.  Jan and Barbara prepared handouts that were distributed to the committee for review prior to the next meeting.

 

E-COURSE COMMITTEE UPDATE:

 

Gary Anderson:  30 E-courses approved last year.  The majority of E-courses that have been approved have been from COLA, College of Business, and CTC.  Most of the T-courses have come from South Charleston. 

There is some concern regarding the content of  T courses in terms of the amount of content.  The question is, how do you say, there is not enough content.  E-Course committee is requesting feedback regarding quality control standards for E-courses and T-courses.  The committee is comfortable with E-course content because it has to be 100% online.  T-courses are harder to monitor because they do not have to have 100% of the course online. 

There is no problem not approving  e-course classes that don't have sufficient content, because these classes are available to the public and therefore represent the university.

T-courses are for Marshall students only and therefore make it harder to administer restrictions.

Karen raises the issue that she prefers T-courses to E-courses because she doesn’t like to be restricted to using WebCT.  Matt has questions about her specific objections to using WebCT because he feels that he can address many of the issues that have not been addressed in the past. 

 

It is agreed that Matt will be added to the E-course Committee to address current and future needs for E-courses.

 

There is discussion regarding the length of summer sessions for E-courses.

. 

EXECUTIVE POLICY 13 UPDATE

Don distributed an updated policy with strikethrough and changes.  Everyone is to review and discuss these changes at the next meeting. 

 

David Johnson will be going to Copyright Policy meeting on 4/4 & 5 if anyone wants to go along.

 

Adjourned